Sunday, November 18, 2007

The National Shrine









Kit wanted to visit the National Shrine today to see our name etched on a column in the Crypt for the donation Kitty and I had made to the Building Fund in the 40s.

For $150, we had our names and Jack’s name etched in the stone. We put in Mohler for Kitty’s people. Kitty’s mother, Mrs. Mohler, was very pleased. She said “You have my name down there too.”

When the children were younger, we took many trips to the Shrine. Kit remembers pouting that her name wasn’t included. It was hard for her to understand she wasn’t born yet, nor was Nora, Elsie, Joe, or Charlie.

I stopped at the Shrine a lot during my working years. I would sit in the cafeteria and prepare reports. When different aunts would come to the Shrine for Mass, I would show them the stone. They were so happy. They all wanted to see it, as I was the first one in the family to do something like this.

I took my first digital picture today. Kit wanted me to take a picture of her standing by the inscription. It was a little hard holding onto the walker with one hand, while holding the camera with the other.

We saw a lot of the city as Kit ended up in different parts. She needs one of those things for the dashboard. Most of my children have one. I didn't mind getting lost as I enjoyed seeing the people on the street, the buildings, and all the construction that was going on.

Our family will be getting together for Thanksgiving at my granddaughter Melissa’s house. There should be about 20 people. I am looking forward to it.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

Hi Grand Dad!
So happy to hear that your health is good and love your posts. You'e been quite the traveling man!
God Bless!