Monday, February 19, 2007

To my grandson Charlie on my 89th year

My grandson Charlie is very interested in WWII.

I was a soldier in WWII.

JMJ

Dear Charlie Mann Jr. ,

Kit tells me you are interested in WWII. I enlisted when it started, but was turned down since I didn't have enough teeth.

I was working as a Plumbers Union Helper in 1940, then was drafted in December 1943, and discharged in December 1945. I took Infantry training in Camp Croft South Carolina.
2nd training in England as a Rifleman
3rd was the Battle of Normandy. I was transferred to the Artillery company to prepare the D shells to fire against the German Army Soldiers.

In approximately 2 years, I was in 5 battles, 2 in France 2 in Germany and the last and winning Battle of the Bulge where Hitler gave up.

Then General Patton called all the men he could get. I was on an old train for 3 days and nights that was used for cattle and slept on the cold floor in my overcoat. Hitler called for our surrender but our General McCalluf responded "Nuts to you" and the Americans won a tough battle.

My next stop was Schledorf Germany where I started training for the Pacific Battle as China had joined Germany against America.

I think it was June or July 15, 1945 when President Harry Truman ordered the Atomic Bomb dropped on Hiroshima. It completely destroyed the city.

The 3rd Army was in the Summer home or Castle of King Ludwig.

We can talk about it the next time we meet.

Love,

Grand Pa Johnny Mann

No comments: