Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Drawing of me by a WWII German POW



This is another favorite picture my children have of me. It is a drawing done by a German prisoner for 2 packs of cigarettes and Hershey bars. He drew it in no time at all. I was 26 years old at the time.

I didn't have much money. I sent money home to Kitty and Jack every month. I might have made $30 a month.

My daugher Kit had good copies made of the sketch for her siblings. The picture is prominently displayed in all my children's homes. My lucky son Charlie has the original.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is beautiful. My family is German and this touched me deeply.

Lin Felton said...

I am looking for a Johnny Mann a POW who saved my Uncle Frank Biddle life by carrying him on a march from Bologne to 20A Stalag at Thorn Podorz. Can you help.
magic-mushroom@tiscali.co.uk