Sunday, May 13, 2007

My Wonderful Brother Joe

Joe and I were on a Swim Relay Team for the Holy Comforter School, Boy Scouts Team #93. I swam in the last lap when Joe yelled "Johnny keep up the speed as you have it made for a win." Joe was a very good swimmer. He cleared the way for us to win the race.

Joe and I were on a Boy Scout Hike to Randle Highlands where Joe was pushed over a high cliff by a fellow Scout who had lost a fight with Joe (as Joe was a very good boxer). Joe was standing near the edge of the cliff when he was pushed over and landed on his knee. He was sent to the hospital, but he died a few days later from the high fall, because his blood was poisoned. There wasn't antibiotics in those days. Had this happened after WWII, he would have lived.

My Mom and Dad had lost their first child and it was hard to take. Many evenings Mom would walk to Mt. Olivet Cemetery to visit her son's grave.

No comments: