Monday, July 30, 2007

My 90th Birthday Party Speech

July 28, 2007

Dear Family and Friends,

I want to say a few words on my 90th birthday. When I was about 12 years old, I was helping the Sisters of St. Josephs one Saturday when this pretty girl was at the front door coming in for her lesson the piano. It was Kitty. I said that is the wife for me.

13 years later – after both of us had been dating others, I asked Kitty for a date. She said I have company here by the name of Jean Cunningham. I said I’ll be able to take both of you to the movies, so Kitty said OK. The next night we had our first date at Farrad’s outdoor restaurant. On the following night, we went to the Nightingale restaurant below Alexandria VA, for dinner and dancing.

Getting to know and love each other we decided to get married on Memorial Day 1941. Our first son John was born on 9-18-42.

Kitty and me just had Jack for about 10 years. We wanted to have more brothers and sisters to complete Jack’s life and our life. So Kitty, me and Jack drove to St. Anne de Beaupre 30 miles east of Quebec City, where we prayed on every step to St. Anne de Beaupre, and prayed to have sisters and brothers for Jack, Mom, and me.

My wife Kitty got pregnant and had Nora in 1953, Elsie in 1954, Kit in 1956, Joe in 1958, and Charlie in 1959. These 5 great kids improved Mom and my life in so many ways.

And without these 6 children and their spouses, we would not have had 10 grand children and 2 great grand children today.

My Love Always,


Dad
Grand Dad
Great Grand Dad
And John































After the speech, we passed out gifts Nora ordered from the St. Anne de Beaupre church in Quebec. The children received statues of St. Anne and the grandchildren, nieces and nephews received rosaries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

i love that story. every step. you should get a pick of the church they prayed at.