Sunday, March 4, 2007

I interviewed Duke Ellington

I wrote this story for my writing class at my retirement home. Many of my classmates did not believe this story. Duke Ellington made his start in Washington DC. Here is how it happened.


My Fantasy, by Johnny Mann, written Winter 2001

When I was about 21 years old, I was going to Hine Night School three nights a week. During the day I worked my main job as a laborer for the old Washington, D.C. Railway and Electric Co.

On free nights I was a cub reporter for the New Rhythm Band Magazine. My first interview was Duke Ellington, who happened to be at the Howard Theatre at 7th & T., NW in Washington, D.C. I asked to see the manager and asked if I could interview Duke Ellington. He immediately phoned the Duke, who was on a break for 20 minutes, and said "Send Johnny up and we can talk".

Duke told he started as a sign painter and had a good business. The Duke's Dream "was always music". It started as the Ellington Trio. Duke then made a very careful selection of each member of the band.

He had started with a trio. The Duke started in a smaller trio, then added the best music. He moved to the Cotton Club where he became famous and started as a composer of songs. My favorites were "Take the A Train" and "Mood Indigo."

I and my lovely wife Kitty, got married on May 30, 1941 and enjoyed dancing to the three bands at the Madison Square Garden. The name bands were Larry Clinton, Artie Shaw and Harry James.

Duke Ellington met his fantasy of being a successful entertainer.

Kitty and I have a living fantasy of six children and ten grandchildren and we look forward to our 60th wedding anniversary this coming May 30, 2001.

May all of you have many fantasies in your life.

No comments: