Sunday, March 4, 2007

Letters to my daughter Nora -- 2003/2004


I have a notebook for each of my 5 children. Here are some letters I have written to my #1 daughter, Nora.
2-22-03

"Nora, the Hula Dancer of the Mann Family"

I well remember picking you up at the Dance Studio and would watch you, as you danced all of the steps with ease and had such good rhythm with each different step.

"Love Dad"

J.M.J.

Dear Nora,

Mom was very pleased with the improvement in you and David's Home.

Kit drove us down and back. Mom and me enjoyed the visit and the special foods you had for us.
It was sad as Mom died, with a heart attack, in her sleep that night.

Mom thought I would die 1st. It happened for the best as her suffering is over now.

You have done a great job as executor, plus the birthdays, etc., and I appreciate it.

Love
"Dad"

Dear Nora,

I was very proud of how you got over your foot surgery so quickly + the 12 classes of therapy.

It took a lot of hard work and you came thru like a champ, and you look like a million.

LOVE
"Dad"

4/2003

Dear Nora,

Thanks again for handling all the bills, the birthdays for the grandchildren + Jack, Ellen, Charlie, Celie, Elsie. (Your love for Joe was great as you told him I'm on my way to New York. He was alone and needed you.)

Handling the estate I appreciate so much. Mom was happy when you would come on Thursdays for dinner and cheer her up and explain the bills to her (as those bills can scare anyone.)

Take Care
Love,
"Dad"

JMJ

Dear Nora,

I enjoyed seeing you and David and the delicious ham dinner at Kit's new condo. + Dave's new Harley Motor Cycle. It was a nice time with Charlie, Celie, Kelly, Charlie Jr., and John.

You and Charlie were a great help in the Dishes and clean up.

Take Care
Love
Dad

7/18/03

Dear Nora,

We missed you this past Wednesday in the dining room as you had to work.

Kit joined me and one lady thought Kit was you. So she said "Speak to me (as you usually speak to her and many ladies)

Thanks for the shoes, but I had to stop wearing them as the right toe is too tight.

They tell me there are special stores that sell them named Richeley. I will call you and see you next Wednesday and see if I can get a pair.

Love
"Dad"

JMJ Labor Day

Dear Madam Promoter,

I was so impressed at your very successful 2-day Labor Day where 100 or more people had such a wonderful time, plus all the bands, especially the $300 one. I just sat back on your and David's estate and enjoyed all the music and games going on. My Mom and Dad would have seen another world (if they were still living).

The characters Mr. and Mrs. Raghead were a show in itself.

In closing, you make me a very happy man all the way.

Thanks for such a great party.

Lots of love,
"Dad"

JMJ

9-20-03

Dear Nora,

Thank-you so much for all the work on getting me a place to move. It is a long drive up here from the Plains, VA.

Also for being the Administrator for our Will and keeping with the bills.

My job as Business Manager was very little compared to the large amount of work you do for Mom and Me.

Love you lots,
Dad

JMJ

Dear Nora

Thanks so much for your wonderful help.

Taking me out to see the Sun Rise Home next to Leisure World and our 1st apartment to see old friends and workers at the Charter House.

Good luck on your foot operation this next Wednesday.

You are in my prayers -

With the wires and screws out, you will not feel the rain and rough weather.

Love you lots
Dad

4/6/2004

Dear Nora,

How is my Business Manager today?

I appreciate the wonderful assistance you take of my bills, and mail and so many things that come up.

Many times I think about you growing up. We took you many places to my parents' home where my Mom and Dad (another Nora) would have cookies and Coke as well as my relatives who enjoyed seeing you (and knew of Mom and I's trip to St. Ann De Vo Pray).

Your 1st Football game of Notre Dame in Baltimore.

I will close to a very lovely daughter.
Lots of love
"Dad"

5/5/2004

Dear Nora,

I enjoyed our dinner this evening. One of the fellows said on the way out "It is nice to have a young person to dinner", and I agreed with him.

Thanks so much for fixing the medicines for next week.

I'll close for now.

Lots of love,
"Dad"

JMJ
7/11/2004

Dear Nora,

I enjoyed Stephen and Melissa's engagement party, along with my 87th birthday party.

It was good to see Elsie & Lila too.

I'll miss my dinner partner this Wednesday, but we have a lot of Wednesdays after this one.

I am happy to hear you can get to the gym as it is good to get the weight off.

Thanks so much for all you are doing for me.

Love you
"Dad"

JMJ

Dear Nora,

I enjoyed your company last night along with Kit at the hotel in Mannassas, VA as it was a very good time for all of us + your trip to McDonald's for the tasty ice cream sundays.

It was a nice party for you & me and Kit.

I got tired at 10 pm, but Kit told me that you and her talked til 12.

Thanks again for joining us.

Love Ya,
"Dad"

9/6/2004

Dear Nora,

I had a great time your and David's party. The bands played rock and all kinds of Jam Music.

Dave introduced me to one fellow Dalson who is a Local 5 Plumber. His Father & I worked together (and in the Past as he passed away last week). Everyone had a wonderful time. Today is a good day for you both to rest.

Thanks so much for inviting me, as I enjoyed meeting many of your friends including Mrs. Raghead, plus many more.

I'll close with
All my love
"Dad"
(I'll see you Wednesday for dinner)

9/23/04

Dear Nora,

It was a nice time having you here for dinner talking about Melissa's engagement party. Her new home sounds great with plenty of room.

Cly (Dave's brother) had a close call on his motor cycle and is lucky as it could have been much worse.

It is a treat to have dinner together and it brightens my life.

The people here enjoy meeting you also. As I like saying "This is my 1st daughter Nora."

"Stay as sweet as you are"

Lots of Love,
"Dad"

JMJ
10/24/04 "David's 50th"
Dear Nora,

It was a great time for Dave's 50th.

Dinner was delicious plus a family conversation by all (you, David, Melissa, Stephen, Kit & Jack) 3 of my kids were there also.

I very much enjoyed the whole day.

Your weekly visits plus taking of the bills, the medicines. and having dinner with me each week.

Thanks again
Love ya
"Dad"

12/8/2004

Dear Nora,

I enjoyed you joining Jack and me for the funeral and party for Joe Sheehy.

You were very charming bringing me a plate of delicious food as well as for others (you carried 3 plates one on arm and I was proud of you)

Thank you again so much for taking care of the bills

Say hello to David for me. (Dave has helped me many times and I am proud of him also.)

Lots of love
"Dad"

No comments: