Tuesday, March 20, 2007

To Grand Dad on his 86th Birthday

My family wrote some wonderful things about me for my 86th birthday on July 27, 2003.

Melissa - #1 Grand daughter
I love his bright blue eyes that always seem to be taking everything in. I love that he has been so strong and started walking again.

John Connor - #1 Grand son
For taking his #1 grandson to the fire station and putting him in the truck.

For trips to McDonald’s and buying me my first Big mac. You told me I wouldn’t finish it and you were right.

For being there when I found out that Kate was born.

Kelly Rachel Mann #4 Granddaughter - Age 12

Everytime Granddad saw me in a play, he would tell me "You are going to Broadway". I liked that a lot.

John Edward Mann - #6 Grandson - Age 11

Granddad is nice and talkative. I am named after him. I have watched football with him. I have always liked playing with Granddad's cane.

I was very happy Granddad came to my First Communion when he was sick. It showed he cared and that he liked me a lot. I remember walking up to Granddad and giving him a big hug. I was so happy.

Nora - #1 Daughter

I remember being the only kids in the neighborhood who went to the People's drugstore soda fountain every night. We rode in the Chrysler Imperial like princesses. We got bakery donuts every Saturday morning, with a special bun for Mom.

I don't think I ever woke up without Dad being awake and ready to hear about everything going on in my life. Each morning Dad and I would go to six am Mass with a stop at the bakery for a treat. It made me feel like an only child for the morning.

By far, I had the best Dad and a wonderful childhood, not to mention adulthood. I am so glad I still get to enjoy my Dad. He has been very brave to go through all these health problems without a complaint.

Kit - #3 Daughter
Dad is optimistic. He looks on the bright side. He always has something to look forward to.

We went on great vacations all over the country - Colorado, Kansas, Florida, Atlantic City, Ocean City, New York, Roanoke.

Dad took us on MANY day trips to Ocean City, Maryland. We would stay all day riding the waves. At night, we would walk the boardwalk and go on the rides.

He writes the best letters and stories. He is a great storyteller. I loved hearing the WWII stories - how Dad utilized a quart of water every day - using the last of it to wash out his socks.

He has the best quotes “This house will be here when you are dead and gone.”

He made me feel like a princess. On Valentines Day, he would give Mom a BIG box of candy and 3 little boxes to Nora, Elsie, and me. We felt very special.

We grew up in a wonderful house. In the early 60s, Dad was able to buy a house with 4 bedrooms, two bathrooms and AIR CONDITIONING. Not many Dads were able to do that.

After dinner, Dad would take us out for Cokes so Mom could have some peace and quiet.

He wrote detailed directions for my OPM exam. He described the tunnels and circles, when to get into certain lanes.... I did not get lost.

He taught me how to ride a bicycle. The first time I tried, I fell and cried. Dad told me it was OK, and to get back on the bicycle.

To stop my tears when I was 5 years old, he told me I was going to be a pretty lady - as pretty as the lady who was walking by us. I stopped crying immediately.

He gave me great pep talks for taking my drivers test.

He consoled me when I was upset. He knew just what to say.

We went to many parades, the funeral parade for JFK - the welcome home parade for John Glenn....Dad picked me up from school for the John Glenn Parade. I felt like a movie star when I was called out of class.

Many times Dad would ask me to join him for a Coke at Peoples, where he would give me ideas on living, working, loving, and being charitable to others. Dad took care of people during his daily routine - Francis, Billy Edwards, and many others. He taught us by example, to be charitable to others.

We went to Hot Shoppes every Sunday with Grandma.

We went to the Drive-in movies in the station wagon wearing our pajamas. We brought a HUGE bag of popcorn and a jug of Kool-aid.

We ate ice cream on Sunday evenings on the grass at the University of Maryland.

When Dad got a bonus, he shared it with us. He put the money in little brown envelopes with our names printed on it.

He has never missed an opportunity to tell how much he loves us.

Joe - #2 Son
Dad sent me encouraging letters, along with cash, when I was struggling to be a dancer. Dad took me to the Kennedy Center to see Edward Villela. Afterwards, he went up to Edward Villela and introduced me to him.

Dad drove to Baltimore to pick up my favorite book - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

In 1989, Dad drove me to Baltimore to get my drivers license. Because I forgot my birth certificate, the DMV said I couldn’t get a license. Dad told the skeptical clerks that he could vouch for me - as I was his son. The lead clerk quizzed Dad. Even with 6 kids, Dad was able to give the clerk my full name and date of birth. I was able to get the license without the birth certificate. After my performance, Dad always clapped and shouted Bravo. He was very proud of me.

Charlie - #3 Son
He got me in the Electricians Union. He told me exactly what to say to the Interview board. I did just what he said and was accepted at a time when the Union had few slots.

Many Saturdays, Dad took me to the stock car races along with Jimmy McGrath and Bobby Werking. None of their fathers did that. I felt very fortunate.

He saved me from drowning many times.

No comments: