Monday, September 3, 2007

The Christening Dress made from a WWII German Silk Parachute









My three daughters and two of my grandchildren were baptized in a Christening gown made by my mother from a German silk parachute that I sent home during WWII. This is a picture of my grand daughter Melissa wearing the gown.

When the Germans jumped out of the plane, they just left the parachutes on the ground and went off to fight. The war was on. There wasn't time to bring it down to size and fold it up. The Americans were the same way. When the parachute was open, it was very big as it held a man in the middle of the air.

After the war was over, I saw a parachute on the ground. I folded it up and sent it home in a package. I had to get permission from the Lieutenant. He didn’t care too much for it. I was the only one who sent one. I had no idea my mother would make a Christening dress. I just knew she would like the silk material.

No comments: