Tuesday, September 4, 2007

WWII - In the beginning



These are some conversations I had with Kit about WWII......

I am in the center of the picture with the cap on my head.

I was in the Infantry for the first few months. They called me the "catch-up man" because I couldn't march so well. My veins were in bad shape. I had been using masking tape to wrap my legs from the ankles up.

They put me in the artillery which was very good, as it eliminated all the marches out front. Cannoneers shot cannons at the enemy. You shot the cannons and then everyone could move forward. There were 8 in the artillery to shoot the cannons. When it landed it would kill, God knows how many people. (They shot mathematically, so it would hit something.) Once it hit, the infantry would move forward. In the meantime, the other side was doing the same thing.

We did a four hour deal - battle four hours and sleep four hours. I once went without a shower for 7 months, but you were so busy you didn't think about it.

No comments: