Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day Passes in WWII




I always put my name on the board for a day pass. It was a good way to get away for the day. Most guys didn't want to go, as they thought it was enough to be in the war. A group of 8 would get a pass from 7 am to 6 pm. A truck would come by to pick you up in the morning. I always got there a half hour ahead of time. I wore my uniform with my mess kit and canteen tied to my belt, and a rifle. (I always had to carry the rifle everywhere, even on the day pass.) I never had to pay for street cars or bus transportation. I would use my mess kit to get food at the hospital or other places. I would fill the canteen with coffee. There were big trash cans of hot water where you could dip your mess kit and get it clean.

I went to the churches and museums. I sent 10 cent perfumes to all the relatives. People were delighted to get the French perfume.

That is how I did my sightseeing. My friend Pat at The Charter House and I have both said, "We saw Europe."

No comments: